...and I'm not being overly dramatic about this. I honestly, deep down in my heart, questioned whether or not I would live through this adventure. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking (just don't worry about the fact that I look homeless in most of them...I was hiking. Cut me some slack.)
So, the hike started off fairly uneventfully. Good friends, decent weather, and a great overnight hike planned. Too bad I had been told that it would be a quick two hour hike up to our campsite.
This is about two hours after our "two hour hike" started. I asked Dustin where exactly we were going. He let me know that we were headed towards the peak in the distance that we are pointing to. Needless to say, two hours quickly turned into five.
Don't worry...still hiking...
This picture is from the next morning, but I think it's important at this point in the story that you understand that we were up with the snow. And snow is cold. VERY cold. Especially when it's dark, and you're trying to sleep, and a GIANT rain storm decides to hang out in the mountains with you.
I feel like this picture doesn't do the whole situation any justice. I am SOAKED...you see, I learned that water resistant sleeping bags are just that: water resistant. However, when subjected to a downpour of rain, the sleeping bag soon loses all ability to resist the water and eventually you will get drenched...inside your sleeping bag. Imagine sleeping in an inch of freezing cold water, on the side of a mountain, with a root sticking into your bum.
Anyway, I will forever be grateful for Bethany who kept me sane during that very cold, wet night on the mountain. It's amazing the life insights that come at 3am when you're not sure if you'll make it back down off the mountain. But, despite the very long night, I have to admit that the view the next morning made me almost forget the horrible night.
December–Day by Day
7 years ago


4 comments:
WOW! That sounds crazy. I'm so glad that you survived!
Oh my heart...now that I have been on a pioneer trek or 2 I can appreciate this story even more...you are MY GIRL!!! and renting scuba suits and all....do you ever stop?
I am so glad you lived! haha. Kaela is in my ward. She is so cute and super talented! Funny that you know her! Well, actually not that funny - this is Provo after all.
PS I heard we're neighbors. Are you still living in Riverside? I just live on the other side of State from you.
Post a Comment