Saturday, April 19, 2008

Salt Lake City Marathon

After running in the Ogden Marathon last year, Shawna and I decided that it was so much fun that we wanted to run in a different race this year...and the Salt Lake City Marathon won. Granted, we didn't run the full marathon...or even the half (we're not crazy!), but we did run the 5K, which was just hard enough to make me realize that I'm not cut out for this running stuff but not so hard that I wanted to pass out at the end. It was a lot of fun (I can say that now that my heart rate is back to normal) to be part of the whole marathon atmosphere while not having to run the entire 26 miles. I would have to say that the most entertaining part of the day (besides walking through a sketchy part of SLC at 6AM because we thought it would be shorter to get off of TRAX and walk to the park instead of catching our shuttle bus at the Gateway) was people watching before the race began. There were so many people who take this kind of thing VERY seriously. I mean, over an hour before the race began there were tons of people stretching, checking their pulse, running warm up laps around the park, and eating those nasty GU things. While I do understand the importance of a good stretch, I somehow feel that stretching SO LONG before the race starts is a little bit of overkill. My favorite, however, were those hard core runners. I'm talking people decked out in spandex and $300 running shoes who thought they were in the Olympics. If they're such hard core runners, why don't they try a challenge...like the half marathon? Anyway, all in all it was a LOT of fun and totally worth the training we did for it. Now that we're experts at the marathon scene, we're on to bigger and better things. Anyone want to do a biathalon with us next year??




Christine, my mission companion ran in the race too...except she ran the half marathon (I am so impressed). This is her near the finish line, with a huge smile on her face...I'm sure I wouldn't look near that good after running 13 miles.



Before the race, not stretching, laughing at all the hard core runners

4 comments:

Mama Lovejoy said...

Well folks, I have waited a long time and given the whole subject some deep thought, before I posted on this Blog, for you see folks, this comment comes from the Blog owner's GRANDFATHER D.

What in the world is wrong with the so called "Happy Valley", when we have two very attractive females and their entire Blog contains information concerning "ping pong" ( old Chinese game) and running a 5K race on a Saturday.

Believe me, its not "Happy Valley" if this is how you spend your time.

NO RED BLOODED MALES IN NORTHERN UTAH OR ALL IN WASHINGTON COUNTY?

Grandpa D

Anonymous said...

Well, I have ran a 5k and it was hard! So i give you credit. I am not a runner myself either. Or did the fact that the entire year that we lived together i never went running once... give you any clue. Good job though! And i am so excited to see your posts of your uruguay adventures!

Lee, Ashley, Makenzie said...

Dude, I loved your post, it was hilarious. Lee and I feel the same way. Why run 13-26 miles when you can run 3.1 miles. Takes about half an hour and you don't want to die afterward. We are hard core 5K runners, we find them all around the greater DC area and run them. Nah we run 4 a year (one per season) I am so proud of you and Shawna, and what the heck you ran a marathon???? How?? I didn't know you were so hard core. Have fun in South America.

Tiff and Griff said...

Rachel!!! Its Tiffany Chamberlain from back in the day... I totally ran the 5K with you, well you and I didn't know it but yeah we ran it together! Congrats! Add me I want to see how life is going in where ever you are!!