Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dear Madre and Padre,


This week has been quite eventful. I finally put the finishing touches on the dental campaign assembly that we're doing for all of the Title I elementary schools in Utah County. That's 3 school districts and 21 schools in a month. September is going to be insane. It's been a fun project and I have definitely learned a lot. I've never written an assembly for elementary schoolers and it ended up being a lot easier than I thought. My favorite part (by far) of the assembly is the song that we're going to have everyone sing and dance to at the end. Have you heard the song, "Ice Cream and Cake" by the Buckwheat Boyz? If not, CLICK HERE. So we're going to use that tune but with different words that I wrote. Basically it goes something like, "Brush, floss, and clean your teeth" repeated over and over again. I haven't been able to get the song out of my head for weeks so hopefully it has the same effect on the kids and reminds them to brush their teeth. My friend Dave is helping me record the song. I'll have to figure out a way to let you listen to the song once it gets recorded.

I also spent a lot of time looking for jobs this week. My contract with Community Health Connect is up in September but I'll be in Provo until April, so I need to come up with some sort of employment. I have interviewed with a couple of different places, but nothing has panned out. I had an interview at the end of the week with the Walden School, which is a private liberal arts high school in Provo. I interviewed for a position as a Spanish teacher. The interview went really well and I loved the philosophy of teaching that the school's curriculum followed. As I left, however, I just didn't feel right about accepting a teaching position there. I have no idea why. Oh well. I found out on Friday that I got hired by the Alpine School District to teach an English as a Second Language course 2 nights a week in the Adult Ed program. I'm super excited about it and will be teaching the "Foundations Course" which is even before beginning English Language Learners. These are the people that aren't even literate in their own language, so the way you teach them English is completely different than you would teach a literate English Language Learner. It'll be a challenge, but I'm excited about it. As fun as that will be, though, it's only 2 nights a week and so I need another job to fill the rest of my day. Pray that I find something soon!!

Other than that, I've just done a bunch of random things this week. We went up into the canyon on Thursday night to watch the meteor shower with a bunch of friends. It was pretty chilly and we didn't see too many meteors (well, we probably saw 10 during the 2 hours we were there...that's WAY more than you'd usually see, but I wanted to see a SHOWER.) We ended up leaving about 1am and found out the next day that the peak of the meteor shower was at like 3am. Oh well. It was still fun. Today we made tin foil dinners on the grill with a bunch of friends. DELISH and super easy. I love summer because it seems like you can grill anything and it tastes way better than it normally would.

Anyway, take care. I love you!

Rachel

1 comments:

Kira Cook said...

1. I like your new blog format.
2. I hope you get paid for this teaching this time.
3. You can always wipe bums.