Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Oops

So when you're learning a new language, it's only natural that you're going to make some mistakes. Just ask anyone who served a foreign speaking mission. Example: In the beginning of my mission, I thought I'd be all cool and conjugate the verb pedir to say "I ask for..." instead of "We ask for..." while I was saying a prayer with some investigators. Except I hadn't really grasped the concept of irregular verbs quite yet and instead of saying "I ask for..." I said "I fart". Awesome. Everyone started laughing, but not realizing my mistake and not knowing why they were laughing, I continued my prayer and said "I fart" no less than 10 times. By the time my prayer was over, everyone was doubled over in laughter. It was only slightly embarrassing. Fast forward to 2010. I have been speaking Spanish for 6 years. I have a Bachelors degree in Spanish from BYU. I am a licensed medical interpreter for the state of Utah. I speak Spanish every single day. Yet, somehow I still manage to make HUGE mistakes. For example...my boss asked me to translate a press release about our upcoming open house into Spanish so that we could send it to all of the Spanish language newspapers in northern Utah as well as all of the English ones. Easy enough. There was no complicated vocabulary and it was only a few paragraphs long. It didn't take very long to write up and I didn't think anything more of it...until the next day when it suddenly dawned on me that I had translated "county" as condonado instead of condado. Oops. What did I end up saying? Well, instead of saying that the County Commissioner would be speaking, I said that the CONDEMNED Commissioner would be speaking. HA! And don't worry...that went to every Spanish newspaper in northern Utah. Yeah, I'm a professional. Don't worry about it.

7 comments:

Megan and Mike said...

hahah thats awesome, but its good to know your not perfect, i doubt you make many mistakes, your spanish is amazing!!!

Danica said...

Love you Rach. Dying over "I fart" no less than ten times.

Courtney said...

HA HA, that is great!!!
Just be glad you still speak Spanish, I haven't said more than my prayers in Spanish for like 5 years. BOO for me. I suck!

Stacie said...

Hilarious!!! I love you!

Rachel DeFreese said...

Oh how I love Rachel Lovejoy!

B and C said...

That's too funny!! I live your humor about it.

B. Surfer said...

10 times, uh? You think you would have picked up on the hint a little sooner>? hahhaahha. Pedo. hahaha.