Thursday, June 3, 2010

Twinkies and a trip to St. George

Let's start with the trip to St. George.

I know I probably say this every time I go to St. George, but I really think it may be the happiest place on earth. I mean think about it: warm weather, hiking, laying out by the pool, and Nielsen's Frozen Custard. Really, I don't think life could get any better. Anyway, I went down to St. George for Memorial Day weekend. We were far to busy having fun and eating good food to remember to take many pictures, but here are a few pictures from our hike to Padre Canyon.


And now on to the Twinkies.

I think Twinkies are pretty disgusting. I mean, have you ever actually looked at a list of ingredients in a Twinkie? Oh, you haven't? Well, here's the quick rundown of what you'll find in that lovely little golden sponge cake with creamy filling (just in case you were curious).

  • Modified corn starch
  • Cellulose gum
  • Whey
  • Leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate)
  • Salt
  • Cornstarch
  • Corn flour
  • Corn syrup solids
  • Mono and diglycerides
  • Soy lecithin
  • Polysorbate 60
  • Dextrin
  • Calcium caseinate
  • Sodium stearol lactylate
  • Wheat gluten
  • Calcium sulphate
  • Natural and artificial flavors
  • Caramel color
  • Sorbic acid (to retain freshness)
  • Color added (yellow 5, red 40)
Yummy, right? So, basically the point here is that I don't make a regular habit of eating Twinkies for very obvious reasons. So what made my roommate and I purchase a box of 10 Twinkies last night at the grocery store? Well, have you seen these?


Green filling!! How cool is that? There is something kind of morbidly appealing about green cream filled Twinkies. I don't know what it is. But suddenly the Twinkies were unbelievably irresistible. Don't worry. They still taste the same and will probably make you feel like you either want to barf or go run a marathon just to get all of those processed sugary chemicals out of your body. Oh well. It was a good idea in theory.






1 comments:

B. Surfer said...

Dude, i was totally checking out your arm muscles on that Padre Hike picture.. WOW! Super buff. You must work out. :-)