So we got home tonight and were starving. We had tried to make pasta for lunch but couldn’t because we have a gas stove and didn’t have any way to light it. So we found a grocery store and went and bought a lighter and we were all excited for pasta. Well, our stove is a gas stove, but there was this clear glass-looking stuff that covered the metal where you usually put your pans. It covered the entire stove but there was still room on the sides where you could reach in and light the stove. (I’m probably not explaining it very well…I’ll try to figure out someway to post pictures). So, I honestly didn’t even think of trying to move the clear glass stuff. It was attached and appeared to be immovable. Actually it kind of looked like those cook top surfaces that everyone has now that are really easy to clean. So, we turn on the stove, put our pans with water on top and wait. Well, something starts to smell funny and Tricia makes a comment about it. We just figured it was the old pans we were using. All of a sudden there was a huge explosion. I screamed so loud that our neighbors probably think that someone got murdered in our apartment. The cook top looking thing EXPLODED!!! Turns out it was pure glass…which everyone except us knows can’t withstand such high heat. Luckily no one got hurt but there was glass EVERYWHERE…I mean, all over the kitchen, stuck to walls, out in the hallway. It took forever to clean up. I’m scared to tell our manager because he told us that whatever we break we have to pay for…I hope I only have to pay for a new cover, but I wonder how much that will cost. What if I have to pay for a new stove??? I don’t have money for that! Anyway, I just wanted to share with you my experience. They shouldn’t let 2 Americans live together ALONE without first explaining to them how everything works!!
December–Day by Day
7 years ago


3 comments:
Who taught you how to cook? :) I'm glad that you didn't die! So did you ever get your pasta?
Crazy Rachel! I am so happy you didn't die. That would have been sad! : ) I have seen some crappy looking stoves in Indo, and I can understand the confusion quite well.
i was watching house hunters international last night and this couple was looking to buy in Mexico. while walking through the kitchen of one house the realtor flipped up the 'protective glass covering' over the burners on the stove and said, "see you even have this nice bonus feature." the couple responded by saying "why do you even need a cover for your stove?" and i just started laughing thinking about your blog post and the outcome if no one ever tells you what its for. dave thought i was crazy, but it really was just too funny.
Post a Comment