What was your prom like? I feel like mine was pretty typical of the American prom scene. I mean, it was a pretty big deal. In my high school, who you went with, what you were wearing, and how you arrived to the big dance were huge. Shallow? Probably, but it was almost like a rite of passage in the high school experience. Somehow, though, with the passing of time you realize that there is SO much more to life than prom, high school, and the drama surrounding it all. This past weekend, I was witness to something that put my prom to shame. Let me try to paint the scene. It's 10:00 at night. We're standing outside of the county courthouse in Provo with about 300 other people. The front of the courthouse is decorated, has a huge arch, and the railing is draped with tool and white Christmas lights. There are lawn chairs lined up and you can tell that people have been waiting for hours for what was about to take place. And then it all starts. Over the loud speaker you hear someone welcoming the crowd to the 2008 "Promenade". Everyone breaks into cheers. This years DJ? None other than Donny Osmond (are you kidding me?). And then it begins. Couple after couple exits the courthouse to have their moment of fame. It's almost like watching the parade of stars on the red carpet before the Oscars or something. As the couples descend the stairs there are "oohs" and "aahs" and people critiquing how the couples are dressed. It was classic and I loved every moment of it. I honestly wish that I had known about this Prom tradition earlier. I would have made it a yearly tradition to come check out who's who in Provo years ago. So you can feel like you too were part of the biggest night in Provo, I've included a video. Yes, I know that it's sideways. If I were more computer saavy, I'd figure out how to rotate the video. Until then, just tilt your head to the left and enjoy!
December–Day by Day
7 years ago


1 comments:
WOw - i'm sad i missed it. That's better than people watching on the library wall while people are walking to devotional. wow.
Post a Comment