So tonight my mom and I were talking about my plans for the weekend. Sadly, this weekend will be quite typical...work, clean the apartment, do some homework, catch up on sleep, maybe wander around the mall...and that's about it. She asked if I had any plans with boys. Nope, I told her. We started talking about places I could go to meet guys. She asked about work. Well, seeing as I am surrounded by 19 year old guys who have recently taken upon themselves a 2 year vow of celibacy, that's out of the question. "School?" she asked hopefully. Nope. I did an informal survey in two of my classes the other day. The number of unmarried people came up to a grand total of 4...3 of those being girls, the 1 guy being a Star Trek junkie. "Ok," she said, trying desperately to unlock the secret to my lack of dating. "You know," she said, "you should REALLY try one of those LDS dating websites." I started laughing hysterically. She was dead serious. I went and told one of my roommates that my mom suggested that I check out a dating website. She said, "I know someone who met their husband on one of those websites. She's really strange, though." She only confirmed what I had suspected about those sites. I suppose that I not so secretly dread my wedding day, having to tell everyone that we met on the internet. So, what do YOU think about those websites???
December–Day by Day
7 years ago


11 comments:
not good business, on my understanding way. i believe you should visit bars one day a week, but its your match.
I was quoted in your blog?!!?! I feel honored! Now about online dating... Miss Utah came to my school today to discuss internet safety. She said you cannot always trust people on the other end of computer conversations, and you should never give them personal information. I'd say it's pretty hard to date/marry someone that doesn't know your phone number, favorite color, or what you look like.
Do you know Patience, from MD? She met her hubby on an LDS singles type website. They have twins now.......
I think yours is my favorite blog of all the blogs! So funny, and not about boring baby stuff, so thank you. I think internet dating is weird. period. I know people who have done it, and it's worked, but to me, it just seems like publishing to the whole online community that you've officially given up and decided to settle. Too harsh? Perhaps, but go on those sites, and you'll think differently!
Rachel,
I know some people who have met online, including one of my best friends...However, she is unfortunately divorced, along with the other people I know.
and boring baby stuff, Mekell?!
I'm sorry, I was NOT TALKING about you and Noah AT ALL!!! Oh my gosh, I was just making a generic statement and now I realize how awful it was! I love reading about yours and all of the other people I likes' kids, I promise, but I was just trying to be funny and it backfired. I have that problem a lot, ya know....
I'm Stacie Johnson's sis. I think you should. A couple in our ward in Cali met on the site. They are the best. Just had their second kid in 3 yrs. Only wished I was as cute as they are:) So looks like all other views say no. Here's some advice. When the fish pool is shrinking you need to fish in bigger waters. Nuff said.
My dad met his wife on LDSsingles.com... i wrote his profile for him. It's true, you do need to be careful about what you put on there... but now he's been married for 7 years and they have two kids. Ps.. he dated a lot of girls thru the site, and all of them were totally normal. It's just as easy to weed out the weird ones online as it is in your classes. I say try it.
OH! And a guy in our FL ward meet a girl in Georgia that way. They dated long distance. He was super HOT and she was extra cute. Married now for 4 years. OO! ANd another couple in FL (no dating pool there for LDS people), she was in FL and he was in UT. They dated for a year long distance after meeting online. They're married now, almost 3 years and have a baby girl. I think it just seems weird b/c you've been in Provo for too long where the supply of LDS is abundant. But everywhere else i don't think it matters too much.
Do it why not, that way you can say you did it!
well dude, you never know. My sister and hubby met online, and they are great for each other, totally happy. Just be careful.... also, look up Jimmy (Lee's bro) get a jamba with him and then marry him for goodness sakes. He is awesome, you are awesome then we could be sisters. I don't see any downfalls to this situation.
Post a Comment