So after two failed attempts, Tricia and I were finally able to go to a soccer game in Uruguay. Peñarol versus Defensor Sporting. I decided to root for Peñarol, just because that’s who the people who took us were cheering for and because we sitting smack dab in the middle of all of the Peñarol fans. In fact, Lucia, one of people who went with us, pulled us aside and warned us that we couldn’t even pretend to be happy when the other team made a goal because we’d probably get beat up. So I’m just guessing they take their soccer pretty seriously here. It was a fun game even though Penarol lost 3-0. There were a couple of things that I learned during this monumental occasion.
- Marijuana gives me a headache. Not that I was smoking…but some very pleasant fans sitting close to us were enjoying the game a little more than most.
- I’m glad that I don’t know every bad word in Spanish. There were several words/phrases that I heard quite frequently that I can only guess aren’t very nice judging from the tone of voice used and the cringes on the faces of Emilio and Lucia every time those words were shouted…most often directed at the Peñarol goalie.
- Speaking of the poor Peñarol goalie, I learned that if you can’t kick it past midfield you’re a sissy. At least that’s what they kept calling him.
- I would never want to be a police officer assigned to patrol a soccer game. You know they don’t come to the games in full riot gear just for the fun of it. Just think: 60,000 rabid fans against a handful of police officers? Those don’t sound like very good odds to me.
- I learned that you can bring just about anything into the soccer stadium…including fireworks. Don’t worry. They were shooting them off from the stands. Super safe guys.
- It is possible to cheer continuously for 90 minutes. None of this only cheer when your team does something good. That’s weak sauce.
- Don’t boo at the opposing team. Whistle at them. That’s more intimidating.
If it looks like there's nobody at the stadium...it's because there's not. We got there SUPER early.


4 comments:
I agree with the marijuana comment. Two times now i´ve been on a bus for a long distance and there has been someone smoking in the bathroom. AH- Couldn´t they just wait a few hours.. i guess not. (The first time Rose was on the bus with us and we looked at eachother and laughed as it dawned on us what was going on)- later on I mentioned it and Clary is so great she didn´t know that is what it was. Bless her heart!
AMazing!!!!!! Went to a Rockies Baseball games - sounds super crappy next to your description.
RACHEL!! Its Jenna from Crestwood. I was looking at Jen and Ty Martin's blog and there you were as one of their friends. What a coincidence! Anyway, its cool to see what you are up to. Our blog is tylerandjenna.blogspot.com, keep in touch!
tylerandjennaswinton.blogspot.com
Post a Comment