Ok, for those of you who don’t know, my family is in the middle of a big weight loss competition. Think of it as the “Biggest Loser” Lovejoy style. Everyone in the family is on a team, and the first team to lose 50 pounds wins a Nintendo Wii. Every Wednesday we have to call my mom with our new weight, so Wednesday morning I went to weigh myself. Now, I currently do not own a scale. Heck, I don’t even have a pair of scissors or my own fully functioning blow dryer. Luckily though, the pharmacy just around the corner has a scale available for public use. Don’t worry. While you all get to weigh yourselves in the privacy of your own homes, I have to pay 8 pesos to go to a very public place to see how much I weigh. Anyway, I walked into the pharmacy this morning, forked over the money, and was given a token to use at the scale. The scale was actually pretty high tech. By depositing one token you could find out your height, weight, and BMI. If you deposited two tokens, you got the bonus feature of finding out what your blood pressure was. So, I dropped all my stuff on the ground, got on the scale, and deposited my token. I expected the machine to just show me how much I weighed on the little screen, but I got so much more than I expected (or wanted). As soon as I put the token in, the machine said (very loudly I might add), “Stand still…measuring your height…measuring your weight…you weigh…” and then, just loud enough for EVERYONE in the pharmacy to hear, that blasted machine declared exactly how much I weighed. Horrible, huh? Talk about an embarrassment. I mean, first of all I think it’s completely wrong that you have to pay to find out how much you weigh. Getting on a scale is depressing enough. (Remember having to pay to take a test at the testing center…and then failing it? Having to pay for a failing grade just added salt to the wound. Same concept.) Then to have the machine tell the whole world how much you weigh…wow. Good thing I don’t have self-esteem issues.
December–Day by Day
7 years ago


2 comments:
My family did that too. Only the prize was $1000.00 No teams though. Elsberry biggest Loser. They did it over 6 months. Weigh in January, March, and then July. winner? My cousin-in-law. I guess she worked them all. hahah... Hope your team wins the Wii!! Then i can come and hone some of my video game skills.
Sidenote: remember when you came and played Super nintendo with me when i was sick and prego back in good ol' Provo? You're such a good friend :-).
ha ha, that is such a funny story- I love it!!!
Post a Comment