Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random Thoughts

Ok, so I lied. This will be my last post from Uruguay. As I have previously mentioned, Uruguay is a fantastic place. I love it here. It's a little cold/foggy/rainy for me right now, but overall it's great. Like any country, however, there are little things that just make me laugh about life here. For example:

  • I called a guy named Jorge Washington today. That's George Washington in Spanish for all you gringos. Interestingly enough, he's probably one of hundreds of Jorge Washingtons here. I wonder how many people there are named George Washington in the USA. Probably less than here in Uruguay. Strange.
  • Are you a carnivore? If not, don't plan on coming to Uruguay. You won't survive. Meat is a staple food here. I'm pretty sure they took the "eat meat sparingly" part out of the Word of Wisdom here. Last night I went to a parilla called "La Otra". Divine. Lots of meat, but divine.
  • So one of the cell phone companies down here, Movistar, is having a fantastic promotion right now. Between 11 pm and 11 am, all calls between Movistar phones are only 1 peso a minute. Here's the thing. Think about your current cell phone plan. Likely you get FREE calls between cell phones from the same company...24 hours a day. On top of that, you get FREE nights and FREE weekends. When you think about it, Movistar's promotion really isn't that great. I mean, first of all they're still making you pay for the cell to cell calls...PLUS the promotion is only between 11 pm and 11 am. Even if you're truly Uruguayan and stay up far later than the average American, you're still asleep (or at work) during the majority of the promotional hours. Some promotion.

Bueno, chau from Uruguay. It's been real. Don't cry for me Uruguay (or was that Argentina??).

2 comments:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

You are soo funny! I am afraid to say that my passport has no stamps in it! You well traveled woman. It sounds like urugauy is great!

Anonymous said...

keep on, lady, sounds good, loved all questions about "nuestros hermanos uruguayos", wana see some from there, the north in your matter. Some days of internet addiction, from bs as.