While I’m here in Uruguay, I have two classes that I’m taking via internet through BYU. They are both Spanish classes and are basically designed to help me more fully immerse myself in the local culture and enjoy my experience here. I have to do all sorts of stuff and then write up what I’ve learned and e-mail it to my professors. I have to read the local newspaper, interview a bunch of people, eat new food, learn to cook something traditional, discuss the country’s politics, go to museums, and go to a cemetery. Yeah, that’s right. Go to a cemetery. So today Tricia and I did just that. We found a cemetery on the map, hopped on a bus, didn’t get lost (thank heavens), and checked out the cementerio del Buceo. It was actually REALLY interesting. It wasn’t as old as I thought it would be (the oldest graves we found were from 1906) but it was huge.
As you can see from the pictures, everyone’s grave plot has a huge statue. The plots are family plots and thanks to some open graves, we figure they can fit about 8 coffins underneath each of the family statues. Some people have a ton of money and have built ginormous shrines.
Others are a little more humble and instead of a plot with huge statues, they are given a spot in the wall.
The highlight of the day, however, was this open plot we found. I think the headstone broke, but it allowed us to see into the plot. Those are some old coffins!!

Anyway, all in all it was a very educational experience…perhaps a little morbid…but educational nonetheless.
0 comments:
Post a Comment