Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lucky to be alive

Sometimes I wonder how in the world I haven't accidentally killed myself. Honestly. I mean, I do have naturally blonde hair but I generally consider myself to be pretty intelligent. There are times, however, when some of those dumb blonde jokes could apply to me. Saturday was a particularly rough day for me. It all started off when I conked my head pretty hard on the corner of a cabinet in our kitchen. I had an instant headache and I was sure that I had somehow punctured my brain. Actually...maybe I did. It still hurts. Anyway, later that afternoon Tricia decided to attempt to make tortas fritas, a type of fried bread that they eat in Uruguay on rainy days. Attempt is the key word. Forget that we had no recipe nor had we ever seen anyone actually make them. The rationale? It's only flour and water deep fried. How hard can it be? Evidently a little more difficult than we thought. Round 1 was a complete failure. We decided to try again which is when the accident happened. When you make tortas fritas, you have to deep fry them in melted fat. Sounds appetizing, doesn't it? Well, I knew that hot fat has a tendency to pop and I even warned Tricia to be really careful as she placed the dough in the fat. Round 2, however, I decided to turn the dough that was in the fat...and POP! A big grease bubble exploded, splattering all over my face. It burned so bad! I ran into the bathroom to try to wash all of the grease off my face. When the dust had settled, I was lucky enough to only have a few grease burns on my face and none of them are very bad. I'm telling you, one of these days I'm not going to be so lucky. Until then, I'm just grateful that I have a guardian angel looking out for me. I sure hope they pay him well...he's working overtime!



0 comments: